(Yutaro Ikeda, Chairperson of Incorporated non-profit organization THAP)
We participated in the event of “Tsuruga・Kirameki・Minato Haku
Exbition 21” in 1999 as volunteers, and were highly evaluated for our contributions to the success of the event .
From the following year, we started doing our activities to create a lively town(to vitalize Tsuruga city) based from the port area. In 2000, THAP was organized as volunteer group in order to deepen collaborations with many citizens and build friendly interactions through various activities such as international exchange, culture, history, healthy growth of children, and community development of tourism. In 2004, THAP obtained certification for Incorporated non-profit organization valid through the present date.
We think that community design is how citizens from different
backgrounds interact with each other and create their own city with pride and responsibility through volunteer work. What we are aiming for is to make Tsuruga a cheerful and livable city through volunteer activities .
What is THAP?
Incorporated non-profit organization THAP
Incorporated non-profit organization THAP stands for Tsuruga Heartful Amenity Port＆People. We are working to make the port town of Tsuruga a pleasant city and create heart to heart interactions with people.
The formation process of THAP
- In 1999, we set up a volunteer group “W・A・V・E” to serve OMOTENASHI (Japanese way of hospitality) with citizens to visitors for the event of “Tsuruga・Kirameki・Minato Haku Exbition 21” which took place to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening the port of Tsuruga.
- In the same year, “W・A・V・E” formed “Volunteer Network” in order to enlarge OMOTENASHI activities involving citizens, corporations, and every kind of organization
- In 2000, we disbanded “W・A・V・E” once, then formed “Volunteer Group THAP”.
- In 2004, THAP obtained certification for Incorporated non-profit organization valid through the present date.
- After doing volunteer activities of “Tsuruga・Kirameki・Minato Haku Exbition 21” in 1999, from the following year, we started supporting the annual event of Tsuruga Summer Festival.
- Kanagasaki and Matsubara seaside area periodical cleaning
- OMOTENASHI activities(dispatching OMOTENASHI team for tourists who visit Tsuruga).
- Visiting nursery schools with Tsuruga mascot character “TSUNUGA” and exchanging communication with students during Christmas seasons.
- Interacting with every kind of organization and participating in collaboration events(Tsuruga International Culture Festival, The port of Tsuruga Illumination event MIRAIE, Tsuruga railway festival, Family-friendly event, REINAN International Exchange Event ,Tsuruga Nishimachi Ebisudaikoku Tug-of-war , and so on).
Future action plans
- Doing activities to promote Tsuruga Port of Humanity as “The Friendly city of Tsuruga” domestically and internationally based on “Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum”.
- Support projects to vitalize Tsuruga city.
- Support activities to promote culture, art and sports.
- Support activities for healthy growth of children.
- Holding Tsuruga International Culture Festival.
- Collaborating with the government, planning and operating every kind of event.
- Sponsoring projects to deepen engagement with every kind of organization.
・Kanagasaki area periodical cleaning
・Matsubara seaside area periodical cleaning
【Tonton kids project 】
・Support for victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake, Restoration assistance
【Tsunuga-kun Santa Claus】
・Visiting nursery schools
【Utilization project of Tsunuga-kun(Tsuruga mascot character)】
・management of Team Tsunuga/ Tsuruga tourism promotion
【Tsuruga International Culture Festival】
・event organizer /representative of Executive Committee of Tsuruga International Culture Festival
Collaboration activity with other organizations
- Family-friendly event(by healthy growth of youth Tsuruga citizens advisory council）
- REINAN International Exchange Event(by Fukui International Association)
- The port of Tsuruga Illumination event MIRAIE(by“Tsuruga, railroad and the port“ town planning executive committee）
- Tsuruga railway festival(by“Tsuruga, railroad and the port“ town planning executive committee）
- Collaboration and cooperation with Tsuruga city and tourism association ,etc
International cultural exchange activities
We are doing various activities in Tsuruga which Jewish refugees and Polish orphans landed.
【Holding of Tsuruga International Culture Festival】
November 3rd and 4th in 2018, we organized Tsuruga International Culture Festival for the first time. It focused on the memoirs of Jewish refugees and Polish orphans who landed in Tsuruga.
【Organizing the study committee of the functional extension of Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum】
Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum is a museum which introduces the memoirs of Jewish refugees and Polish orphans who landed in Tsuruga. We worked as a chairperson of the study committee for the renewal of Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum.
The current homepage of Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum
Participation in other organizations
- Tsuruga Tourism Association
- The study committee for the renewal of Port of Humanity Tsuruga Museum
- Growth of the youth Tsuruga citizens advisory council
- “Tsuruga ・Railway and port” the committee of community renovation
- Support of victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake “Tonton kids project”
- REINAN International exchange meeting executive committee member
- Tsuruga cherry blossom village executive committee
- Tsuruga tourism association “Yu Ton Jyuku” project member
List of officers /Incorporated non-profit organization THAP
(As of June 1, 2019)
【Chairperson】 Yutaro Ikeda
【Vice chairperson】Akira Izumi, Tetsuya Terada
【Executive board member】 Nozomi Ikari, Hiroyuki Okuse, Haruki Okuno, Harumi Kajita, Chikasi Takenaka, Yukio Tanaka,Kazuaki Fujimori,Kenichi Miyashita
【Auditor】 Tuguo Kawahara, Hitoshi Yamamoto
【Adviser】 Makoto Iwai, Hiroshi Kitamura, Yoshiaki Sakamoto,Masanori Tsuji,Noriaki Nakamura, Shinji Hirayama